iBASEt was recently appraised at Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Level 3 for Integrated Product and Process Development (IPPD). Which may make you ask the question, what does this all mean?
What is the CMMI Institute?
To start, we need to understand who CMMI Institute is and what they do. A brief description of CMMI can be found on their website:
CMMI Institute is the global leader in the advancement of best practices in people, process, and technology. The Institute provides the tools and support for organizations to benchmark their capabilities and build maturity by comparing their operations to best practices and identifying performance gaps. For over 25 years, thousands of high-performing organizations in a variety of industries, including aerospace, finance, health services, software, defense, transportation, and telecommunications, have earned a CMMI maturity level rating and proved they are capable business partners and suppliers.
Put simply, CMMI Institute helps organizations discover the true value they can deliver their customers by providing a comprehensive framework to ensure best practices are captured, shared and adopted by companies like iBASEt. We know that process improvement is continuous improvement which is why we believe an ongoing effort to improve our products, services and processes is essential for consistent innovation. CMM (Capability Maturity Model) is a method the institute uses to evaluate and measure the maturity of the software development process of an organization. iBASEt was examined in the area of Integrated Product and Process Development (IPPD), which is defined here:
Integrated Product and Process Development is a systematic approach that achieves a timely collaboration of relevant stakeholders throughout the life of the product to better satisfy customer needs, expectations, and requirements. The processes to support an IPPD approach are integrated with the other processes in the organization.
Structure of CMMI
CMMI is structured in two levels: Maturity Levels (Staged Representation) and Capability Levels (Continuous Representation). iBASEt is in the improvement path of Staged Representation, which is the approach used in the software CMM. This approach uses predefined sets of process areas to define an improvement path for an organization. This improvement path is described by a model component called a Maturity Level. A maturity level is a well-defined evolutionary plateau towards achieving improved organizational processes.
CMMI Staged Representation:
- Provides a proven sequence of improvements, each serving as a foundation for the next
- Permits comparisons across and among organizations by the use of maturity levels
- Provides a single rating that summarizes appraisal results and allows comparisons among organizations
Thus Staged Representation provides a pre-defined roadmap for organizational improvement based on proven grouping and ordering of processes and associated organizational relationships. You cannot divert from the sequence of steps.
How iBASEt Customers Benefit
iBASEt was appraised at Maturity Level 3 Defined. At maturity level 3, the standards, process descriptions, and procedures for a project are tailored from our set of standard processes to suit a particular project or organizational unit. Our CMMI Appraisal confirms processes that are performed across the organization are consistent except for the differences allowed by the tailoring guidelines.
In iBASEt’s case, we standardized upon our current processes and procedures, put audits in place to ensure deliverables followed our processes and procedures consistently. Now that we have a defined model, we can expand our capabilities to other projects. As we proceed, we can provide visibility on what further improvement might be achieved. Going forward, our customers will benefit from our ability to:
- Improve communication through common framework and language
- Keep our goals in mind while focusing on consistent improvement
- Provide a mechanism for training, targeted to meet our goals
- Provide a standard baseline for further advancement
Over 10,500 CMMI appraisals have been conducted in 97 countries around the world since 2007. We are very proud that we have joined them this year. We have identified and improved our key capabilities, defying disruptive and competitive forces. Our focus is now on expanding quality and process performance objectives throughout iBASEt, thus, putting us on a path to succeed and provide our customers the ability to enable the digital thread.
Read the original Press Release here: iBASEt Appraised at CMMI Level 3 for Product and Service Development
- Enterprise Manufacturing Intelligence (EMI) Market Forecast Roundup - August 2, 2017
- Space Tech Expo 2017 Recap - June 5, 2017
- The Rising and Reviving Implications of Privatized Space Exploration - May 16, 2017
- Aerospace Standard Compliance: Adjusting to AS9100 Rev D - April 25, 2017
- Evaluating the Quality Management System - March 3, 2017
- What Lies Ahead for Aerospace and Defense in 2017? - February 1, 2017
- Navigating the Digital Enterprise - December 5, 2016
- iBASEt Expands Professional Services Offerings - October 25, 2016
- Smart Manufacturing Targets the Full Product Lifecycle Including MRO - August 31, 2016
- The Impact of ISO 13485 - August 3, 2016