Cape Canaveral, Florida & Foothill Ranch, Calif. – Aug. 27, 2007. Software provider iBASEt, under contract with NASA’s prime space shuttle contractor United Space Alliance (USA), announced the successful deployment of Solumina, iBASEt’s Operations Process Management solution. The utilization of this electronic system resulted in the first completely paperless power-up on the Orbiter Atlantis.
Mark Nappi, USA’s Associate Program Manager for Ground Operations at Kennedy Space Center, congratulated the team on its accomplishment and stated, “This is a significant step toward implementation of paperless processing using our state of the art businesssystem.”
Ray Knispel, USA Project Manager for the Solumina implementation remarked, “Solumina was used to support vehicle power-up on Atlantis (OV 104). To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time Space Shuttle flight hardware has been processed with an electronic work instruction from the firing room on a production basis. This was a small event in the firing room without any fanfare, but the implications toward the future are significant. All work was performed in a smooth efficient manner without interruption to the test team. To me, that is success. This small project team has done an outstanding job!”
Vic Sial, iBASEt’s President, complimented the combined project team on its success and stated, “This is a significant accomplishment for the team, and we are all very proud to be associated with the nation’s space program. We are looking forward to completing the deployment of Solumina at USA and expanding across the aerospace supplier base to ensure complete end-to-end traceability for our space program.”
United Space Alliance is a world leader in space operations with extensive experience in all aspects of the field. Headquartered in Houston and employing 10,000 people in Texas, Florida and Alabama, USA is applying its broad range of capabilities to NASA’s Space Shuttle, International Space Station and Constellation programs as well as to space operations customers in the commercial and international space industry sectors.
iBASEt, founded in 1986, is a leading provider of high-tech software solutions and services. The company has two divisions: Solumina and Federal Systems Division (FSD). FSD has a distinguished record supporting requirements for NAVAIR, SPAWAR, NSWC, Air Force, Marines, CENTCOM, and other agencies. iBASEt’s Solumina Division pioneered the first client server image-based work instruction delivery and data capture system in the complex assembly aerospace and defense markets, and pioneered the first Operations Process Management suite for the entire product lifecycle, including supplier network, production and aftermarket services. iBASEt’s Solumina Operations Process Management solution is targeted at Process Engineering and Planning (a.k.a. CAPP), Plant Floor Execution (a.k.a. MES) and Quality Management, and provides a paperless connection between product engineering, ERP and the plant floor. Users report Solumina has significantly improved productivity, throughput, and provided millions of dollars in annual cost savings. Solumina customers include industry leaders like Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, BWX Technologies, Goodrich and United Technologies.
Contact: [email protected]; 877.422.7381
- iBASEt Launches Manufacturing Intelligence Solution for its Digital Manufacturing Suite - August 10, 2018
- iBASEt Extends the Digital Thread with Release of iBASEt PLM Connector - June 18, 2018
- Benefits of Adopting the Digital Thread - November 10, 2017
- Benefits of Dock to Stock (DTS) Programs for Complex Discrete Manufacturers - February 13, 2017
- Why a Quality Management System Isn’t Enough to Satisfy 21 CFR Part 820 and Part 11 - January 3, 2017
- Why Medical Manufacturers Need Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) - December 15, 2016
- Does Your MES Support Effective Product Genealogy for Medical Device Manufacturing? - October 6, 2016
- Achieve Cradle-to-Grave Bi-Directional Traceability with Best-of-Breed MOM - July 15, 2016
- A Better Approach to Maintaining Device History Records - March 1, 2016
- Solumina Deployed by BAE Systems to Achieve Operational Excellence - February 3, 2016