The bi-annual EURONAVAL event is said to be the world’s largest meeting of naval technologies with 355 exhibitors, over 400 journalists and nearly 25,000 trade visitors. Under the patronage of French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, EURONAVAL is the most complete and innovative naval defense event. This year’s gathering was held in France, and showcased some of the prestigious names in naval defense, including Fincantierie, Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems (TKMS), DCNS, and more. Now in its 25th year, EURONAVAL is where the specialists of the field come to discover new trends and innovations.
EURONAVAL in figures:
- 355 exhibitors from 28 countries
- 24,655 trade visitors from 100 countries
- 92 official delegations from 70 countries
- 15,000 m² of surface area
- 408 journalists
- 300 guests of honor
DCNS Wins Huge Contract to Build Australian Submarines
One of the biggest attractions of this year’s event was the news that DCNS won a €34.5 billion contract for the manufacture of 12 ocean submarines in April. The French naval defense firm won against a Japanese consortium called Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and the German Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems. The new submarines will replace the existing Collins class submarines operating on diesel and electricity. Australia intends to double its current fleet to 24 vessels.
Fincantieri Wows with Impressive Booth
The giant Fincantieri was not left behind this October, with a stand as large as DCNS, a large number of models presented, highlighting its masterpieces of innovation. It should be noted that Fincantieri, a major competitor of the French DCNS, has just won in June 2016 a contract of €4 billion for the construction of seven military ships in Qatar.
Thyssenkrupp Vies for Norwegian Navy Contract
German manufacturer, Thyssenkrupp Marine Systems, was also in great pomp at EURONAVAL 2016. As we speak, Thyssenkrupp is competing with DCNS for a contract of three to four billion euros for the Royal Norwegian Navy, which wishes to afford four to six new submarines. The Norwegian government is expected to award the contract before the year’s end.
EURONAVAL 2016 – A Wonderful Experience
EURONAVAL has proven yet again to be a wonderful experience for anyone working in defense, or supplying such companies with support and technologies. iBASEt met a large number of innovative companies such as STX France, Elbit Systems, MBDA, IAI, Intermarine, Dassault, Textron Systems, to name a few. We are grateful for our experience at the event.
- Paris Air Show 2017 Recap - July 21, 2017
- The EURONAVAL 2016 Event Recap - December 12, 2016
- 2016 Predictions: Manufacturing Execution Systems Adoption in EMEA - February 25, 2016
- 4 Prédictions sur l’adoption des Manufacturing Execution Systems en EMEA pour 2016 - December 22, 2015
- Les grandes tendances de l’Aérospatiale & Défense en Europe - October 14, 2015
- Top Three Insights from the 2015 Paris Air Show - July 21, 2015
- Industry 4.0 : The Heart Of European Investment According To Plan - April 7, 2015
- L’industrie 4.0 : le cœur d’investissement Européen suivant les prévisions - April 7, 2015
- France: Production Aérospatiale et Système d’Exécution de Fabrication – 2014 à 2015 - February 20, 2015