We are delighted to congratulate Pratt & Whitney North Berwick Parts Center (North Berwick), located in North Berwick, Maine, for being named a 2015 Best Plants Award Winner by Industry Week. The award is among the most coveted by manufacturers.
A provider of jet engine components, North Berwick is a leading example of the renaissance of American manufacturing. Once facing potential closure, the massive plant has become a jewel among Pratt & Whitney facilities, having undertaken a major transformation to place it at the forefront of production of parts and modules for the latest generation of jet engines.
Key to the effort at North Berwick was promoting parts development at the facility; according to Michael Papp, General Manager at the plant, this provides “a leg up” when bidding for manufacturing contracts. Another enhancement involved improving the environment in which designers and manufacturing engineers work together collaboratively on a daily basis.
Among the plant’s achievements:
- A 20% percent reduction in in-plant defect rate occurred during the past 3 years
- 35% of the plant’s production consisted of new or redesigned products introduced in the previous 12 months
North Berwick’s use of iBASEt’s Solumina was a contributing factor in their transformation, helping to improve manufacturing productivity, quality, and compliance by giving operators, supervisors, and every plant manager visibility from the shop floor to the top floor. The result? A highly cost-competitive facility for aerospace manufacturing that provides exceptional quality, ethics, safety, and delivery as-promised.
According to Papp, North Berwick’s mission, above all, is to pass the plant onto to the next generation. The Industry Week Award is just one more reason we have no doubt they’ll be successful in achieving this goal.
To learn more about how to improve your MES performance in complex manufacturing, download our free eBook.
- 3 Reasons Why the Single Vendor Model is Losing Ground to the Digital Ecosystem - April 30, 2020
- 3 Ways the Digital Enterprise Can Better Navigate Uncertainty in Today’s Marketplace - March 27, 2020
- 5 Top Trends in Aerospace and Defense Manufacturing - March 23, 2020
- iBASEt Assists Lockheed Martin’s Johnstown Plant to Scale Production and Meet Accelerated Demand - October 29, 2019
- Preparing for 21st Century Workforce Challenges - October 29, 2019
- Industry 4.0 Needs Smart MES - October 18, 2019
- Partnering to Achieve Critical Digital Transformation Success at Lockheed Martin - October 17, 2019
- iBASEt Launches Solution for Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Execution - October 10, 2019
- iBASEt Appoints Evan Sloss as Head of Business, United Kingdom - September 17, 2019
- iBASEt Recognized in IDC MarketScape Report on Manufacturing Execution System Vendors - July 25, 2019