The IYNO Advisors group recently release the results of a 2014 survey on Project Manufacturing Issues and Trends. The survey compiled answers from over 250 companies serving both commercial and
Project based manufacturers deal with a high level of complexity, regulatory and contractual requirements. However, the research showed that there is a lack of modern commercial information
systems in use at these companies. Over 50% of respondents depend on a combination of spreadsheet and homegrown solutions for managing operations.
The performance leaders in the survey expressed the importance of moving forward from the legacy of paper and spreadsheet-based processes. Integrated information systems are critical to obtaining a better level of coordination and visibility among internal departments and achieving improved business results.
Why such a low adoption of commercial software?
One of the questions in the survey asked about the “fit” of commercial applications to the specific type of manufacturing. Most companies felt that add-on or custom applications were needed to complement commercial solutions. Only 13.3% felt they had found a software with a good fit for their industry.
I wonder how long ago these companies went shopping for commercial solutions? I hope they take another look because commercial software offerings for manufacturing have matured a lot in recent years and a few vendors, like iBASEt, have developed in depth functionality for these specific industries.
What are the surveyed companies doing to improve?
The top 4 initiatives listed for process improvement where:
1. Improve project/program management
2. Improve efficiency of manufacturing operations management
3. Increase focus on Lean for operational excellence
4. Synchronize operational and corporate metrics
- Automation Driving Digital Transformation - July 9, 2019
- Why MES is Foundational to Digital Manufacturing - April 2, 2019
- Hidden Treasures in Plain Sight – At the Manufacturer’s Shelf - March 25, 2019
- The Benefits of MES Continue to Fuel New Initiatives - September 21, 2017
- How to Improve Shipyard Operations - September 19, 2017
- MOM Helps Bridge the Skills Gap in American Manufacturing - August 17, 2017
- Paving the Path to the Model-Based Enterprise with Manufacturing Process Management - July 18, 2017
- What is the Digital Thread? - December 23, 2016
- 11 Ways to Reduce Cost of Quality with Integrated MES and EQMS - November 28, 2016
- What is Complex Discrete Manufacturing? - March 3, 2016