- Orchestrating big data, cloud and mobility strategies leads to 53% greater growth than peers not adopting these technologies.
- 73% of midmarket companies say the complexity of their stored data requires big data analytics apps and tools to better gain insights from.
- 41% of midmarket companies are using big data to better target marketing efforts.
- 54% of midmarket companies’ security budgets are invested in security plans versus reacting to threats.
These and many other insights are from Dell’s second annual Global Technology Adoption Index (GTAI 2015) released last week in collaboration with TNS Research. The Global Technology Adoption Index surveyed IT and business decision makers of mid-market organizations across 11 countries, interviewing 2,900 IT and business decision makers representing businesses with 100 to 4,999 employees.
The purpose of the index is to understand how business users perceive, plan for and utilize four key technologies: cloud, mobility, security and big data. Dell released the first wave of its results this week and will be publishing several additional chapters throughout 2016. You can download Chapter 1 of the study here (PDF, no opt-in, 18 pp.).
Key take-aways from the study include the following:
- Orchestrating big data, cloud and mobility strategies leads to 53% greater growth than peers not adopting these technologies. Midmarket organizations adopting big data alone have the potential to grow 50% more than comparable organizations. Effective use of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) mobility strategies has the potential to increase growth by 53% over laggards or late adopters..
- 73% of North American organizations believe the volume and complexity of their data requires big data analytics apps and tools. This is up from 54% in 2014, indicating midmarket organizations are concentrating on how to get more value from the massive data stores many have accumulated. This same group of organizations believe they are getting more value out of big data this year (69%) compared to last year (64%). Top outcomes of using big data include better targeting of marketing efforts (41%), optimization of ad spending (37%), and optimization of social media marketing (37%).
- 54% of an organization’s security budget is invested in security plans versus reacting to threats. Dell & TNS Research discovered that midmarket organizations both in North America and Western Europe are relying on security to enable new devices or drive competitive advantage. In North America, taking a more strategic approach to security has increased from 25% in 2014 to 35% today. In Western Europe, the percentage of companies taking a more strategic view of security has increased from 26% in 2014 to 30% this year.
- IT infrastructure costs to support big data initiatives (29%) and costs related to securing the data (28%) are the two greatest barriers to big data adoption. For cloud adoption, costs and security are the two biggest barriers in midmarket organizations as is shown in the graphic below.
- Cloud use by midmarket companies in France increased 12% in the last twelve months, leading all nations in the survey. Of the 11 countries surveyed, France had the greatest increase in cloud adoption within midmarket companies. French businesses increased their adoption of cloud applications and platforms from 70% in 2014 to 82% in 2015.
- iBASEt Extends the Digital Thread with Release of iBASEt PLM Connector - June 18, 2018
- Benefits of Adopting the Digital Thread - November 10, 2017
- Solumina Deployed by BAE Systems to Achieve Operational Excellence - February 3, 2016
- iBASEt Discusses Digital Thread to Manufacturing at AeroDef 2016 - January 19, 2016
- 10 Technologies Driving the Future of Manufacturing - December 15, 2015
- The Top 100 Defense Companies of 2015 - December 14, 2015
- Analytics, Big Data and Sensor Integration Are the Future According to Internet of Things App Developers - December 6, 2015
- The 50 Most Innovative Companies of 2015 Are Defining The Future of Manufacturing - December 3, 2015
- 7 Key Take-Aways And Predictions From IDG’s 2015 Enterprise Cloud Computing Survey - November 30, 2015
- 10 Predictions for Manufacturing Execution Systems and Manufacturing Intelligence In 2016 - November 24, 2015