The Digital Thread refers to the communication framework that allows a connected data flow and integrated views of an asset’s data throughout its lifecycle across traditionally siloed functional perspectives. Adopting the Digital Thread is becoming an imperative step for complex manufacturers navigating increasingly fast-paced and heavily regulated industries.
Adopting the Digital Thread is a Business Priority
Engineers, quality professionals, and manufacturing experts throughout the world are going digital, removing paper processes from the shop floor and experiencing huge gains through adoption of the digital thread.
According to LNS Research, “tapping into the digital thread” means “significant payoffs” for manufacturers, including:
16% improvement in OTCS (on-time and complete shipments)
20% more SNPG (successful new product introductions)
Yet, the survey also revealed that only 20% of factories have moved forward with initiatives like a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to start connecting engineering to production systems.
iBASEt Digital Thread Survey
iBASEt executed our own survey of manufacturers, which focused on organizations with highly engineered products and with high regulatory requirements. Respondents came from companies in industries like aerospace and defense, and medical devices.
The iBASEt survey revealed that many companies have started the Digital Thread journey, but still have room for growth toward digitization. For example, only 26% leverage 3D models in downstream applications like work instructions, 40% are still using manual drawings and spreadsheets for inspection definition, and only 7% of respondents use systems in which Engineering Change Notices flow to downstream systems with impacted and added objects defined.
iBASEt Digital Thread Infographic
We made an eye-pleasing infographic summarizing the most important information from the survey.
Learn more about Digital Thread readiness among your peers, in our new infographic:
STATE OF THE DIGITAL THREAD.
- iBASEt to Present at Impact Manufacturing Summit - September 27, 2017
- Benchmarking the Digital Thread - September 27, 2017
- iBASEt Announces Executive Promotions, Accelerates Focus on Global Expansion and Market Leadership - September 5, 2017
- iBASEt and Cogiscan Partner to Create Automated Electronics Assembly Solution for Complex Manufacturing - July 19, 2017
- iBASEt Showcases the Digital Thread for Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul at PTC’s LiveWorx - May 11, 2017
- Women in Complex Manufacturing: Overcoming the Talent Shortage - May 11, 2017
- iBASEt Showcases the Digital Thread for the Space Industry at Space Tech Expo - May 3, 2017
- iBASEt Leads Smart Manufacturing Discussion at 2017 Manufacturing & Technology Conference - April 25, 2017
- iBASEt Announces 2017 Digital Enterprise Leadership Award Winners for Manufacturing Excellence - April 12, 2017
- Smart Manufacturing Continues to Soar at AeroDef 2017 - April 5, 2017