The Digital Thread refers to the communication framework that allows a connected data flow and integrated views of an asset’s data throughout its lifecycle across traditionally siloed functional perspectives. Adopting the Digital Thread is becoming an imperative step for complex manufacturers navigating increasingly fast-paced and heavily regulated industries.
Adopting the Digital Thread is a Business Priority
Engineers, quality professionals, and manufacturing experts throughout the world are going digital, removing paper processes from the shop floor and experiencing huge gains through adoption of the digital thread.
According to LNS Research, “tapping into the digital thread” means “significant payoffs” for manufacturers, including:
16% improvement in OTCS (on-time and complete shipments)
20% more SNPG (successful new product introductions)
Yet, the survey also revealed that only 20% of factories have moved forward with initiatives like a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to start connecting engineering to production systems.
iBASEt Digital Thread Survey
iBASEt executed our own survey of manufacturers, which focused on organizations with highly engineered products and with high regulatory requirements. Respondents came from companies in industries like aerospace and defense, and medical devices.
The iBASEt survey revealed that many companies have started the Digital Thread journey, but still have room for growth toward digitization. For example, only 26% leverage 3D models in downstream applications like work instructions, 40% are still using manual drawings and spreadsheets for inspection definition, and only 7% of respondents use systems in which Engineering Change Notices flow to downstream systems with impacted and added objects defined.
iBASEt Digital Thread Infographic
We made an eye-pleasing infographic summarizing the most important information from the survey.
Learn more about Digital Thread readiness among your peers, in our new infographic:
STATE OF THE DIGITAL THREAD.
- Virgin Orbit Takes Off With MES - March 12, 2018
- iBASEt to Exhibit and Present at AeroDef Manufacturing 2018 - March 8, 2018
- iBASEt Listed as a Notable Vendor in Gartner’s “Aerospace & Defense Context: ‘Magic Quadrant for Manufacturing Execution Systems'” - January 26, 2018
- Civil Nuclear Energy: Challenges and Opportunities - January 4, 2018
- iBASEt Appoints Industry Veteran to Lead Global Sales Strategy - December 6, 2017
- iBASEt CEO Honored as a Bronze Winner in Stevie Awards for Women in Business - November 30, 2017
- Software Advice Names iBASEt a Master in the FrontRunners Quadrant for Manufacturing Software - November 22, 2017
- State of the Digital Thread 2017 - November 2, 2017
- iBASEt to Present at Impact Manufacturing Summit - September 27, 2017
- Benchmarking the Digital Thread - September 27, 2017